- Sign the petition to create the Selkirk Mountain Caribou park.
- Write a letter
- Write to voice your concerns and urge for the protection of the park!
- Elected oﬃcials are more likely to be swayed by personal letters than a petition or emails, so please hand write or type your letter and mail it (see addresses below). Yes, snail mail is most eﬀective! Nevertheless, email is a handy option.
- Ask for a reply to your request for the park.
- Sign your letter and include your full name and address.
Important points to consider:
- The Selkirk Mountain Caribou park proposal should be enacted as a Class A provincial park. Until then, it is urgent to put a moratorium on logging and road building in the park proposal.
- The park proposal would protect rare Inland Temperate Rainforest (ICHvk). It exists nowhere else in the world but in BC. The proposal contains the last remaining old-growth in the region, after decades of logging.
- It includes the primeval Incomappleux Rainforest, with trees up to 4 metres across and 1,800 years old, very high biodiversity, and a concentration of rare species.
- The Incomappleux Rainforest is in a wilderness adjacent to Glacier National Park (GNP). This wilderness is important to the survival of GNP’s grizzly bears and should be protected.
- The Mountain Caribou Recovery Plan is a failure. The Central Selkirk herd in this park proposal is very important but it is declining rapidly.
- 40 known species-at-risk may be present in the forests within the park proposal, according to the BC Conservation Data Centre. The Class A park should be created for all the species in the Inland Temperate Rainforest.
The Honourable Doug Donaldson
Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
PO Box 9049 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
Phone: 250 387-6240, Fax: 250 387-1040
The Honourable Catherine McKenna, M.P.
Minister of Environment and Climate Change
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6
Phone: 613-996-5322, Fax: 613-996-5323
The Honourable George Heyman, M.L.A.
Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy
PO Box 9047 Stn Prov Gov
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
Phone: 250 387-1187, Fax: 250 387-1356
The Honourable John Horgan
Premier of British Columbia
East Annex, Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
Phone: 250 387-1715, Fax: 250 387-0087
Mail a copy to your local mla and mp!
Additional ways to help Valhalla:
- Become a member of the Valhalla Wilderness Society.
This enables us to represent you to a greater extent in the valuable work that we do.
- Donate and become a supporter of the Valhalla Wilderness Society.
- Like our Facebook page and share our newly released film with your friends.